Have you ever found yourself in situations whereby people began to drift away from you?
I know I have when I was much younger and had a fiery tongue.
With a bit more maturity in age and experience, I have come to realize that such situations doesn’t only happen to individuals who have a fiery tongue. It also happens, and more so, to people who are so negative about themselves.
Individuals who have such a negative outlook of the world that they see nothing good or is barely motivated by anything or anyone that tries to do good or inject positive vibes in them. Counselling wouldn’t and couldn’t help either because they individuals will only think that counsellors are trying to psycho them, rather than understand and help them.
Even in self-help books and articles that you read or even wise age old advice, we always hear somethings being repeated all the time:
– If you want to be a good person, hang around good people.
– If you want to be happy, be around happy people
– Stay away from people who are negative, they won’t help you in your cause and many more.
There are just way too many things available out there which goes along the same lines of ‘If you want to be successful, you’ve got to think like it and you’ve got to find people who can help you be successful’.
So, under the context of trying to help people who find themselves in situations where people drift away from them, I discovered that a common word we all love to use when such things happen is we go, “SERIOUSLY?!”
And since in this new age world of technology and abbreviations, it has since been cut to “SRSLY?!” when people send text messages.
So, here’s the ‘SRSLY?!’ method for those who find themselves in such situations:
– REFLECT ON YOUR PAST ACTIONS (Have you done/ said some/ too many negative stuff)
– SCROLL THROUGH PAST MESSAGES AND READ IT BACK AS IF YOU WERE RECEIVING THOSE MESSAGES (How does that make you feel?)
– LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR FEELINGS ARE TELLING YOU
– YOU DECIDE HOW YOU WANT TO IMPROVE/ CHANGE THE OUTCOMES/ REBUILD YOUR RELATIONSHIP
It’s a really quick and simple method to apply to ourselves.
So, anytime we feel that someone is drifting away from us and we go SRSLY?!
We can use this method to immediately go into a reflective state and assess and decide our next course of action. Don’t wait for the other to move because we need to be responsible for our own actions. At the very minimum, we need to have taken that step forward towards closing the bridge than to further widen it.