We’ve been reading a lot about manifestos by the different political parties contesting in the upcoming General Elections. Whilst we’re all interested in what those manifestos can translate into should those parties get into parliament, we all want a better life for Singaporeans of all ages and abilities.
For myself, I have also drafted my very own manifesto.
I call it “Magnifest-OH!”
- Class sizes to be between 6 – 10 students for every 1 teacher for Kindergartens
- Class sizes to be between 12-15 students for every 1 teacher for Secondary Schools
- Class sizes to be between 8 – 12 students for every 1 teacher for Primary Schools
- Identification of students abilities to be matched with teachers abilities
- Bigger allocation of spaces to citizens in Institutes of Higher Learning based on Personality and Results match
- Teachers to be given bigger responsibility and focus to improve on teaching methods rather than on CCA
- Specialised trainers under MOE’s payroll to be engaged to manage CCA activities in schools (job creation)
- Each school to have a programme designed to meet different level of learning abilities
- Revamp in National Education to include understanding of governmental systems and constitutional rights
- New HDB units to be sold at a percentage cost above the Cost Price of building the HDB inclusive of land price divided by the number of units to Singaporeans
- New HDB units to be sold at 100% above the Cost Price of building the HDB inclusive of land price divided by the number of units to Permanent Residents
- Permanent Residents need to hold the HDB home for a minimum period of 10 years. Sale of the unit before the 10 year period is up will result in forfeiture of the percentage above cost (Sold after 5 years, 50% of purchased price will be returned)
- Current HDB units will no longer be valued against homes (private and public), devalued price changes will be reimbursed with an upgrade/renovation service to the home to ensure the home remains Safe and Attractive to live in.
- GLCs will be tasked to mentor up to 3 SMEs in the relevant industry over a period of 3 years
- Local contracts awarded to GLCs will require them to work together with an SME in delivering the contract
- Local contracts awarded to SMEs will require them to work together with a GLC in delivering the contract
- Foreign workers will only be employed into industry and positions that aren’t currently filled up yet by Singaporeans
- High positions currently filled by foreign workers will be replaced with locals through a job shadow/mentoring programme to ensure that locals will be able to ascertain the Skills, Knowledge and Abilities to take on the role.
- To bring the standard of living amongst all Singaporeans to a minimum of High-Middle Income
- To first assess on median amount required to live comfortably in accordance to size of household
- To implement policies to ensure that the household is able to meet that amount through subsidies as well as a tracking of progress through a dedicated team of social workers
- Higher taxes for alcohol and cigarettes
- Tiered GST in accordance to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. Lowest tier 3%. Middle tier 5%, Highest tier 7%.
- Government companies/schools to ensure that there is a time alloted to allow employees/students to perform various forms of exercise (eye, physical, mental) for better productivity and health.
- Resident programme for old folks living alone in rental homes to ensure their physical and mental health is well-looked after.
- Educational health programmes/talks to allow greater understanding of psychiatric illnesses to employers.
- Tiered taxes on warded patients. Private hospitals/Ward A/ Foreigners will be subjected to higher taxes (15%). Ward B patients taxed at 7% and Ward C patients taxed at 3%.
- Taxes will be used as subsidy for lower income/poor patients.
- Number of cars to be allowed on the roads to be tightly regulated to ensure that there will be ease of congestion on the roads
- Tiered subsidy to public transportation. FREE for poor, heavily subsidised for low and middle income households.